The experts analyse and anatomize the flaw of the rear view mirror as follow:
1) Fatal blind area:the view horizon of the left rear view mirror is but 12 degrees, and the right, 5. Even for the inside rear view mirror, the view horizon is yet 20 degrees. Hence, the combined view
horizon created by the three mirrors are only 37 degrees. The rest extensive blind area is the fatal killer.
2) The visual error: many a driver adds a small-size round mirror on the rear view mirror to less the blind area, which, however, is average wide-angle mirror where images are twisted and cause visual error to drivers.
3) The late brake where the driver looks back to check: some drivers tend to look back to kill the blind spot before shift the vehicle to another lane or turn. He may, nevertheless, miss the view in front or on the right. Where there is another vehicle drive in his lane from elsewhere or a sudden brake of the front vehicle, his brake would sometimes be lagged before an accident occurs.
4) Blind spot on timing: as long as the driver has to check three directions, he shall have to transfer his view sight three times, yet critical situation may happen in the tiny lapse in timing.
5) The relecting flash at night: the drivers pupils need 3 seconds before them recover from a sudden refecting flash from the front objective in night driving. However, we all know that an accident may happen in even one tenth of that time.
6) Miscalculation of the driver's cautiousness in the front vehicle: there may be a time when the front vehicle is also shifting its lane and blocks the way when the vehicle behind it happens to overtaking it. Such a miscalculation of the intention of the driver in the front vehicle may easily lead to an accident.
The BLIS is to spot and acknowledge whether there is vehicle running in the blind area of the driver. However, it is supplement, rather than substute to the rear view mirrors, and particularly to the awareness and cautiousness of the drivers.
BLIS is a smart mechanism and especially helpful in conjested traffic.It helps to monitor the traffic condition based on the reflect from the digital infra ejector equipped in the rear-view mirrors. The annunciation lamp from the inner side of the A post shall release warnings as long as vehicles drive in to the blind area of the rear view mirrors. As a result, the system helps the driver to evaluate whether he/she is ready to shift the lane. It is smart also in the way that it shall be activated automatically when the speed of the vehicle exceeds 10 km/h and shall identify any vehicle larger than scooters.Moreover, it functions well 24 hours.
Average rear view mirrors are of flat mirror or single-curvity convex mirror, whose common flaw is that the view horizon is limited and blind ara ample. Statistics say that 30% of the traffic accidents are caused by such flaw. For the accidents occured in the lane-shift on highways, the number increases to 70%. 80% of the accidents caused hereto are identified as severe